25 Semester Units and 312 Hours of Service Ministry
- Practical Spirituality 100 series (6 semester units – 90 instructional hours)
- Practical Spirituality 200 series (6 semester units – 90 instructional hours)
- Practical Spirituality 300 series (6 semester units – 90 instructional hours)
- Completed Student Enrollment Application form
- Payment of Fees
Ministerial Credential Requirements
585 hours of instruction plus 220 hours of service ministry/internship for a total of 805 hours) (53.66 semester units)
Note: These classes are each “intensive” 3 semester units of study.
- Spiritual Origins of New Thought (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- World Religions (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Bible Review and Interpretation (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- New Thought Fundamentals (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Consciousness Studies (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Early and Contemporary Philosophers (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Ancient Mystics and Philosophies (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Ministerial Ethics and Leadership (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Science and Religion (physics and metaphysics) (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Pastoral Counseling Care (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Pathway Emotional Clarity (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Ministerial Emotional Well Being (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
- Effective Public Speaking (3 semester units – 45 hours of instruction)
Upon completion of aforementioned courses of study, the student will qualify for the Ministerial Internship Program noted below.
Ministerial Internship Program
The following activities will be accomplished during the Internship under the direction of a Senior Minister at a church of your choice:
Note: Keep a journal and indicate the activity involved and the number of hours for each of the listed requirements.
- How to Teach New Thought (45 Hours of instruction/service)
Core Concepts must be understood. Each student needs to show the ability to teach each concept to large and small groups.
Students will be required to present lessons in Practical Spirituality 100 and 200 under the supervision of a senior minister.
- The Consciousness of the Ministry (The Senior Minister of the Center will assign various activities which will give the student experience in the operation of a church. (45 hours of instruction/service).
The following may be included:
- Leadership activities
- Establishing a new program
- Financial Management
- Ministerial Ethics
- Crisis Intervention
- And other activities as determined by the Senior Minister
- Effective Public Speaking (45 hours of instruction/service)
Included will be giving talks to large or small groups, leading seminars, giving the “Spiritual Thought.”
- Church Services Program (45 hours of service) The Senior Minister will assign various activities which will give the student additional experiences.
The following activities are included:
- Facilitate Spiritual Family Nights
- Youth Church
- Facilitate Meditation Sessions
- Church Support – greeter, usher, etc.
- Give “Spiritual Thought For the Day” at Sunday Services
- Ceremonies (20 hours of instruction/service)
The Senior Minister will provide instruction for various ceremonial activities including christenings, weddings, blessing of homes and offices, celebrations of life/funerals and others. Also included will be attending various ceremonies.
- Board of Trustees – Role and Relationships (20 hours if instruction/service)
The Senior Minister will provide instruction as to the role, authority and responsibility of the Board.
The Intern will attend at least 4 board meetings.
- Written qualifications examination
- Oral qualifying examination
Is it possible to take ministerial courses on line?
Yes, you can, but most of our students do this through our distance learning program. We send you the book and worksheets and you may work at your own pace, time and location.
Do I have to be affiliated with a church?
You need not be affiliated with a church. However, during your internship, you will need to provide some service ministry at a church of your choice, Religious Science, Unity, New Thought or some other.
What is the total length of time needed to become a minister?
If you do this through our distance learning program, then the length of time depends on how much time and effort you put into it. Course requirements.
What is the total cost to complete the ministerial program?
This depends on how you wish to complete the requirements and what classes you have already completed. If you do the courses on-line or at a center, the cost will vary based on what the center charges per class. Emerson’s distance learning classes cost $75 per semester unit plus the cost of the book.
How do ministers get started once they have completed the program? Do they just go out and start their own independent church?
Some of our graduates have started their own centers. Others have interviewed and been selected as a minister or even a senior minister at an existing center. Some do seminars, teach New Thought classes and work in such areas such as being a grief counselor, prison chaplain or other fields rather than run a church.